Tuesday, February 21, 2012

tables, chairs & other unrelated objects

With being a student at OCAD, I'm surrounded by many talented artists and designers. There's always great work on display. This past month at OCAD's student gallery was the exhibit Tables, Chairs & Other Unrelated Objects. Upon entering the gallery, I was greeted with this artist statement neatly written on the wall:

"For those of us interested in furniture, itʼs not always the object alone that weʼre after. During our studies within the furniture program at OCAD University we have all had the opportunity to explore and develop our thinking around the role of furniture as a medium of personal expression, as a reflection of social and cultural etiquette, and as an influence on human activity. This exhibition presents a glimpse into that conversation."

I wish I had taken better snapshots of the actual works. As I was the only one in the gallery besides the employees, I was a little shy to be taking photos. Hence, my sneaky and quick snaps did not turn out so well. I was, however, obsessed with the construction of the window display and took a good handful of pictures of it. If you look closely you can see the thin fishing wire holding all the tiny furniture in mid-air. The details are just fascinating!

I'm going to keep returning to the
Student Gallery and hopefully get the chance to share my findings. The displays around school are always a source of inspiration. With a bit of wishful thinking and a ton of hard work, maybe my art will be displayed here one day!

No comments: