Saturday, October 9, 2010

into the woods


Woodland Trails!




For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, Woodland Trails is a quaint little camp area and the location of our school's annual grade nine art trip. In my first year of highschool I had the pleasure of visiting this place and now, four years later, I am coming back again. This time around I'm a leader! To be honest I didn't know what to expect of the day. I'm not so much of the leader type so I was worried about having to yell or scold or something along those lines. But they were great! We were lucky to get a shy group. These kids were also very dedicated and I'll tell you why in a minute.

Their task for the day was to use nature to construct something that represents the word that was given to them. They weren't allowed to pluck leaves or pull branches; only "dead" things were permitted. Our group's word was diversity. At first, and I think this goes for every group, they were obsessed with digging a hole. Once you hand them a shovel they just want to have at the ground. But after they had their idea in mind they were well on their way and surprisingly, there was no digging involved. The poor little munchkins were so determined to finish on time that they worked through lunch, missing out on roasting marshmallows and all, though it did pay off! They received a good critique and we marked them accordingly. Tens for everyone! (okay, I'm lying.)

All in all, it was a really good day and the result was some really awesome, woodsy photos (yes, woodsy is a word). I was obsessed with the great bokeh I was getting in the woods. The colours were beautiful and especially pretty because of autumn. And may I just add that I love the smell of camp fires.






No comments: