Wednesday, May 11, 2011

ode to mum

I don't often mention family in my posts, but I promise you I do have one! Last Sunday was Mother's day and I had a wonderful day out treating my mum to brunch. My dad tagged along as well at Le Sélect Bistro. It's a place I've been meaning to try and sure enough trumped my expectations. Le Sélect is a darling little French influence bistro with the most divine food. I've only had one meal there but boy was it good. I can only describe the food in no other cheesy way than cooked to perfection.

At first I was slightly intimidated by the French menu but then I realized it was described in English below. There was a special menu just for Mother's day. It was a three course brunch with many choices in appetizers, main courses, and desserts. My mum went for grilled scallops and asparagus, the steak and eggs, and crème brûlée for dessert.


My dad loves his eggs benedict so he went for this lovely plate below, with thinly sliced salmon on a croissant and mixed veggies.


For myself, I had their housemade sausages, eggs, mixed veggies, and Rösti potatoes — my favourite.


By the time her dessert came, my mum was too full for it so, being the wonderful person I am, I kindly stepped in. But really, she knew from the moment she ordered crème brûlée that I was going to eat it. It would be silly to expect anything less. Crème brûlée is my favourite dessert.


Although they're located downtown, the restaurant is pleasantly placed off the beaten track on Wellington street. It would have been nice to sit on the patio because it was so gorgeous out but they haven't set it up yet. I can't wait to visit again and try their other menus during lunch or dinner. I'm going to make a promise to myself to return in the summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I should try this lovely restaurant! Looks perfect. I love all your pictures. Post some on Flickr! I'll definitely favorite a few :)